Search This Blog

Monday, July 19, 2010

the making of a gnome

When I was invited to a cross country croquet tournament in Otis MA, I was really excited. When I got the invite video and it showed a gnome getting hit with the croquet ball, and falling over slowly and safely onto luscious grass...I thought that I would make my own gnome to bring to the show. Who should it look like? well, my friend Maryann seemed to be the perfect choice.


This is my lovely friend Maryann. I started with the photo and sculpted the head.


After that I rolled slabs in my basement-studio and made the body parts. Hear are some of the phases it went through.













When the Gnome was finished, I let it dry a bit and painted it with under glazes.


After that I high fired fired it with weathered bronze, red, and chartreuse. Then Maryann met her effigy.

No comments:

Post a Comment